Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Panama City, Florida

I saw on my site meter that I had a couple of visits from Panama City. I was born in PC in 1940 and spent summers there until 1958. My grandparents lived in Millville and I used to ride the bus into town for movies and such.

While I was growning up Panama City Beach and Long Beach were great places. Sugar white sand, clear green water and out of town girls up the gazoo. There was a place at Long Beach called the HangOut right on the beach where the music never stopped and we danced until we had blisters on our bare feet. In those days beer was the big thing for teens and because the Bay County Sheriff was a close friend of my family I could buy it fairly easily as long as I didn't do anything stupid. Needless to say I made friends fast.

I used to hang around the Indian Motorcycle Dealership in Millville that also sold English Bikes. The owner was a guy named Oolie Coker. He was rough as a cob but was always looked after me. He let me ride a Vincent Black Shadow when I was 13 years old. That Black Shadow is now a collector item that sells for around $200k. Oolie had no compunction about letting me take off on whatever he had in the shop whenever I wanted.

I had a really great childhood in PC and have many fond memories of it. It isn't the same now but when I was young it was a great place.

Thanks for visiting my site.

Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home