Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The New Hampshire Primary

The New Hamphire primary has come and gone with Hillary and John McCain both getting a new lease on life. I guess Hillary's is most dramatic since the pundits were already talking about he pulling out of the race, which I wish she would. I was glad to see McCain get a shot in the arm from his win an I hope he will be able to get enough money to keep him viable.

Just for the record, I can't stand Hillary and I like Bill even less. I would be content if they were abducted by aliens and whisked away to the nether regions of the universe but since that isn't going to happen, I will do everything in my power to keep them out of the White House. I think the only reason they want to go back is that there is some very nice furniture they missed on their way out in 2000.

McCain on the other hand is an enigma for me. I like his staraight talk, his fearlessness and his "I am my own man" attitude but there are several things I disagree with him on.

I don't like McCain's stance on illegal immigration. I agree that we can't just round up 12 million people and deport them but I do think that when they are found they should be deported. I think we should build the border fence and patrole it relentlessly to keep new illegals out. I also think that if the fence doesn't work, we should mine the border with some kind of non lethal mine aor we should put up a second fence that is electrified. We have got to get control of our border, especially the southern one, by any means necessary.

I can't fault McCain for voting against Bush's tax reduction. He was right to want offsets in spending reductions. He stood his ground and now he is being hammered for it.

The McCain/ Feingold bill sticks in my craw more than anything else McCain has done and I can't forgive him for that. I can't see how he signed on to that piece of legislation but he did.

Of all the candidates running, McCain is the one I trust most. I don't like some of what he has done but taken in the grand scheme of things he could be a lot worse.

Chuck

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've lived in California all of my 65-years and 'am very aware that illegal Mexicans come to California to WORK and earn money. Instead of a silly wall, just go to the source of the influx and punish anyone who hires illegals. The farmers and ranchers who hire them NEED them and without them food/produce prices will skyrocket...and so be it. You can't have it both ways. You benefit from the cheap labor of illegals and then complain about them being here. If there is no work offered by businesses here, they won't come. period. easy. punish the businesses if they use illegals. As long as you offer and entice people to come, work, earn money, they will do everything possible to get here. Business farmers even pay "coyotes" to get illegals across the border. Forget the ridiculous outrageously expensive wall and just go after the Americans who hire these people. Don't give free school and medical to them either. They'll stop coming.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Anon:
I agree with most of what you said. Businesses who hire illegals should be punished but I don't think that will stop the illegals. It would probably slow them down but many of them come here for reasons other than finding work.

The number of criminals coming here from Mexico and points south is increasing by leaps and bounds. They are coming here because this is where the money is and they can profit from crime much easier here than they can in poor countries.

Just take a look at the number of Hispanics in prison and at the growth of Hispanic street gangs.

Chuck

1:09 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

I vaccillate on McCain. I like him on somethings but McCain Feingold and the Gang of 14 just really stick in my throat.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home